Check out this Food Revolution article on sugar, how bad it is for you, and some of the most popular sugar substitutes and their health benefits (or lack thereof). Here are the five best sugar substitutes:
- Stevia, from a bush native to South America.
- Yacon syrup, from a plant in the Andes
- Date sugar
Of course, the article says that fresh fruit is the best sweetener.
Who’d have thought avocados would be so good for you? Now, I’m used to hearing about how fatty they are, so I’ve always been careful about avocado intake. But it turns out they do have other benefits.
Readers, how do you like to eat avocados? My favorite is guacamole (of course!), and I also like them in salads and on sandwiches, as long as they’re seasoned or covered in dressing. I always thought they were pretty bland by themselves.
Has anybody had a chocolate-avocado dessert? I heard chocolate and avocados was a thing now, but I’ve never tried it; it seems a little weird.
(I would have reposted this article, but the Food Revolution Network doesn’t let you repost on this site.)
The Food Revolution Network lists the ten phytochemicals you can get from foods that are good for you. Apparently, there’s research that it helps prevent cancer, which you can read here. But if you don’t want to read it and are just curious about some healthy food chemicals, here’s the list below:
- Epigallocatechin-3-gallate (EGCG): a green tea extract
- Curcumin: the primary polyphenol in turmeric root
- Resveratrol: a phytochemical found in grapes, Japanese knotweed, and peanuts
- Lycopene: a red carotenoid found in watermelon, red grapefruit, and tomatoes
- Pomegranate extracts
- Luteolin: a flavinoid found in peppers and green vegetables
- Genistein: a phytochemical found in red clover, soy, and coffee
- Piperine: a phytochemical found in black pepper
- Beta-carotene: an orange carotenoid found in vegetables including carrots
- Sulforaphane: a sulfurous phytochemical found in broccoli, bok choy, cabbage, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, and similar vegetables.
In this case, being healthy will involve eating a lot of salad. Not really different from what it was before, really.